Guidelines to candidates
Guidelines to students during research student admissions
- We welcome all candidates who have chosen to appear in the interviews that lead to admission to the graduate research program in the Department of Aerospace Engineering, Indian Institute of Science.
- The Aerospace Engineering Department is more than 75 years old, and its inception is interlinked with the advent of aviation in India. You may wish to read more on the history of the Department here http://aero.iisc.ac.in/about/history/.
- Research in the Aerospace Engineering Department is broadly grouped into four areas, namely, Aerodynamics, Aerospace Propulsion, Aerospace Structures, and Navigation Guidance and Control.
- The interviews to the graduate research program in the Aerospace Engineering Department is conducted in the following streams: a) Aerodynamics, b) Propulsion, c) Aerospace Structures, and d) Navigation, Control, and Guidance. More information on the research areas are given here http://aero.iisc.ac.in/academics/research/.
- Candidates should choose to appear in the interview in ONE of the afore-mentioned streams.
- The questions in the interview will relate to the stream chosen by the candidate. For instance, if a candidate chooses the Aerodynamics stream for interview, then the questions in the interview would be from topics such as Fluid dynamics, Aerodynamics, Gas Dynamics, CFD, etc. Similarly, for interviews in the other three streams the questions would be from subjects relevant to that stream. In addition, usually, there will be questions from subjects in Mathematics such as Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Numerical Analysis, etc. that will be common to all streams.
- The candidates are to note that they are not to contact any AE faculty about admission results, short listing of selected candidates, or their interest in working with AE faculty, or any AE faculty’s willingness to supervise them. Any one of these actions will be treated as canvassing, and the candidate will be disqualified.
- All queries about admissions should be sent to either to the Joint Registrar (Admissions) or the AE Dept Chair.
- Admission decision will be communicated by the IISc admissions office to the candidate.
- We once again thank you for your interest in the graduate research program in the Department of Aerospace Engineering.
For current details on admissions for Ph.D. / M. Sc. (Engg) / M. E., please check the IISc Admissions website for eligibility criteria and selection procedures.