The department of Aeronautical Engineering was started in December 1942. Thus, after the department of Electrical Technology, the Department of Aeronautical Engineering is the oldest engineering department at the Institute. The services of Dr. V.M. Ghatage, one of the few trained aeronautical engineers in the country at that time and who was working in HAL, were lent to the Institute during 1942-1947. He was the head of the department till 1945. During 1945-48, Dr. R.G. Harris of the Royal Aircraft Establishment U.K. was professor and Head of the Department. Prof. O.G. Tietjens was appointed as the Head of the department in 1949 and continued till 1954. After 1955, induction of foreigners to head, the department was discontinued and one of the professors acted as Head or Chairman of the department.