Ph.D. (Applied Mechanics), Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1995
M.S. (Applied Mechanics), Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1991
B.Tech. (Aerospace Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 1988
- 1996-97, Visiting Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kanpur
- 1995-96, Research Associate, Aerospace Engineering, IIT Bombay
- Computational aeroelasticity of wings and turbomachinery.
- Aerothermoelasticity of hypersonic vehicles.
- Fluid-elastic interactions in flapping propulsion.
- Flutter prediction and identification.
- Molecular mechanism underlying viscoelasticity and damping in polymers.
- Friction, impact, and vibration induced sound.
I work on problems at the interface of fluid dynamics and elastodynamics of solids. This includes the interplay of vorticity and elastodynamics in flapping propulsion and fluttering flags, transonic flutter in aircraft wings, unsteady flow and flutter in turbomachinery, noise induced due to vibration and impact, and flight flutter identification. We have also investigated the molecular basis of polymer viscoelasticity in terms of the influence of polymer structure on anisotropic stress using molecular dynamic simulations.
- Computational transonic flutter analysis of a delta wing. Aeronautical Development of Agency (ADA).
Mysa RC, Venkatraman K.. Intertwined vorticity and elastodynamics in flapping wing propulsion.. Journal of Fluid Mechanics [Internet]. 2016. 787. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2015.659. 2017
Karnick PT, Venkatraman K. Shock-boundary layer interaction and energetics in transonic flutter. Journal of Fluid Mechanics [Internet]. 2017;832. . https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2017.629. 2017
Srivastava PK, Venkatraman K.. Molecular dynamic simulations of elastomer structure and its influence on anisotropic stress under time-varying strain. Molecular Physics. 2014. 112(1). . 2014
Srivastava PK, Venkatraman K.. Structure, molecular dynamics, and stress in a linear polymer. Mechanics of Materials. 2013. 61. 2013
Mysa RChaithanya, Venkatraman K.. A fluttering flag and its vortex wake. In Proceedings of the 15th AeSI Annual CFD Symposium. AeSI CFD Division. . 2013
Sudha UPV, Deodhare G, Venkatraman K.. Aircraft aeroelastic stability and response during wake penetration. In Proceedings of the International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics (IFASD) 2013. 2013
Karnick PT, Venkatraman K.. Shock-boundary layer interaction and transonic flutter. In 65th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics [Internet]. American Physical Society. In 65th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics [Internet]. American Physical Society; 2012.. http://meeting.aps.org/Meeting/DFD12/Event/179336. 2012
Kandagal SB, Venkatraman K. Flutter control using Resistively Shunted Piezoceramics. The Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society. 114(1156). 2010
Kandagal SB, Venkatraman K. Form factors for vibration control of beams using resistively shunted piezoceramics. The Journal of Sound and Vibration. . 2004;274. 2004
Kandagal SB, Venkatraman K. Closed loop flutter control using strain actuation. The Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society. 2004;108(1083). 2004
- PhD. 2015. U P V Sudha: Flutter identification and aeroelastic stability during wake penetration. Presently Scientist/Engineer ‘E’ with the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA)
- PhD. 2014. Tumkur Karnik Pradeepa: Shocks, Shock-boundary layer interaction, and transonic flutter. Presently a Research Fellow with City University London.
- PhD. 2013. Ravi Chaithanya Mysa: Fluid-elastic interactions in flutter and flapping wing propulsion. Presently with ASTAR Singapore https://www.a-star.edu.sg/ihpc/People/DeptID/23/Fluid-Structure-Interaction.aspx
- PhD. 2013. Prashant Kumar Srivastava: Molecular simulation of stress and structure in polymers. Presently with COMSOL India as a numerical algorithms developer.
- PhD. 2004. Sunetra Sarkar: Incompressible viscous flow past an oscillating airfoil. Presently Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering, IIT Madras.
- PhD. 2004. Siddanagouda B Kandagal: Piezo actuated vibration and flutter control. Presently Principal Research Scientist, Aerospace Engineering, IISc.
- MSc (Engg). 2009. Subrahmanya Prasad Narla: Vibration and impact induced sound. Presently a PhD student in Mech Engg@IISc.
- MSc (Engg). 2009. Thomas K. Joseph: Dynamic response of a satellite with flexible appendages and its passive control. Presently with ISAC/ISRO Bangalore.
- MSc (Engg). 2002. Yogesh S Parte: Reduced order modeling of unsteady flow past and oscillating airfoil. Presently heads Y P Consulting Services India https://sites.google.com/site/yogeshparte/resume
- MSc (Engg). 2000. A Srikantha Phani: Dynamic behavior of an electro-rheological fluid sandwich beam. Presently Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada http://www.sites.mech.ubc.ca/~phani/.
- MSc (Engg). 1999. Sunetra Sarkar: Dynamics of flexible structures with nonlinear joints. Presently Associate Professor, Aerospace Engineering, IIT Madras.
- ME. 2015. Sabari Girish Sudarsanan: Transonic unsteady aerodynamics and flutter of wings. Presently Scientist/Engineer ‘C’ in the CFD Division, Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
- ME. 2011. Praveen Kumar Nigam: Structure and stress in a dielectric polymer. Presently with Mahindra Research Park, Chennai.
- ME. 2010. Girish Babu P: Hypersonic bending-torsion flutter. Presently with VSSC/ISRO.
- ME. 2010. Subhandu Rawat: Aeroelastic response of flat plate with nonlinear spring. Completed his PhD (IMFT, Toulouse, France) and now working with Mercedes Benz Research Center Bengaluru.
- ME. 2000. Rajeev Kumar: Study of Wortmann FX63-137 airfoil at low Reynolds numbers. Presently somewhere in the United States of America.
- ME. 2000. Sqn Ldr D Ramesh Kumar: Study of oscillating airfoils. Presently Deputy General Manager Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Bengaluru.
- ME. 2000. Leelavathy M F Harris: Effect of structural nonlinearities on bending-torsion flutter.
This will be updated soon.