Ph.D. (Applied Mechanics), Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1995
M.S. (Applied Mechanics), Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1991
B.Tech. (Aerospace Engineering), Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 1988
- 1996-97, Visiting Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering, IIT Kanpur
- 1995-96, Research Associate, Aerospace Engineering, IIT Bombay
- Transonic buffet and buffeting over a flexible wing.
- Computational aeroelasticity in turbomachines.
- Aerothermoelasticity of hypersonic vehicles.
- Fluid-elastic interactions in biomechanics.
- Aeroelasticity of very flexible flight vehicles.
- Reduced order models in aeroelasticity
- Active aeroelastic wing technology.
- Vibration and acoustics
I work on problems at the interface of fluid dynamics and elastodynamics of solids. These include problems in aeroelasticity related to flight vehicles, turbomachines, hypersonic vehicles, fluid-elastic interaction problems in biomechanics, and problems in the broad area of vibration and acoustics.
High fidelity numerical simulations of shock boundary layer interactions in transonic buffet over swept and delta wings. National Supercomputing Mission (NSM). 2021-2022.
Pradeepa Tumkur Karnick and Kartik Venkatraman. Viscosity, shock-induced separation, and shock reversal—Oscillating wing section in transonic flow. https://arxiv.org/abs/2105.03724. 2021
Sudha, U P V, Deodhare, G S, and Venkatraman, K. A comparative assessment of flutter prediction techniques. The Aeronautical Journal. 124. 1282. 1945-1978. doi: doi:10.1017/aer.2020.84. 2020
Mysa, Ravi Chaithanya and Venkatraman, Kartik. The fluttering flag: Reynolds number, mass ratio, and mode shape. Second International Symposium on Flutter and its Application. Virtual Event. 2020
Joseph, Thomas K., Renji, K. and Venkatraman, Kartik. On the region for the application of passive damping treatment and loss factor enhancement. International Journal of Acoustics and Vibration. 24. 4. 693-700. doi: https://doi.org/10.20855/ijav.2019.24.41432. 2019
Sudha, U P V, Deodhare, Girish S, and Venkatraman, Kartik. Frequency, damping, and flutter prediction from aircraft flight data using autoregressive model. Journal of Aircraft. 55. 6. 2179-2190. doi: https://doi.org/10.2514/1.C034585. 2018
Mysa, Ravi C and Venkatraman, Kartik. Intertwined vorticity and elastodynamics in flapping wing propulsion.. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 2016. 787. 175-223. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2015.659. 2017
Karnick, Pradeepa T and Venkatraman, Kartik. Shock-boundary layer interaction and energetics in transonic flutter. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 2017. 832. 212-240. https://doi.org/10.1017/jfm.2017.629. 2017
Srivastava, Prashant Kumar, Venkatraman, Kartik. Molecular dynamic simulations of elastomer structure and its influence on anisotropic stress under time-varying strain. Molecular Physics. 112. 1. 49-59. . doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/00268976.2013.798693. 2014
Srivastava, Prashant Kumar, Venkatraman, Kartik. Structure, molecular dynamics, and stress in a linear polymer. Mechanics of Materials. 2013. 61. 49-59. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mechmat.2013.02.007. 2013
Mysa, R Chaithanya, Venkatraman, K. A fluttering flag and its vortex wake. In Proceedings of the 15th AeSI Annual CFD Symposium. AeSI CFD Division. Bangalore, India. . 2013
Sudha U P V, Deodhare, Girish, Venkatraman, Kartik. Aircraft aeroelastic stability and response during wake penetration. 111-131. In Proceedings of the International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics (IFASD) 2013. Bristol, UK. 2013
Karnick, P T and Venkatraman, K. Shock-boundary layer interaction and transonic flutter. In 65th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics [Internet]. American Physical Society. In 65th Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Fluid Dynamics [Internet]. American Physical Society; 2012.. http://meeting.aps.org/Meeting/DFD12/Event/179336. 2012
Sudha, U P V, Venkatraman, Kartik and Deodhare, Girish. Autoregressive modeling, estimation of damping and forecasting using flight flutter test data. International Forum on Aeroelasticity and Structural Dynamics. Paris, France. 2011
Kandagal, S B and Venkatraman, K. Flutter control using resistively shunted piezoceramics. The Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society. 114. 1156. 387-390. doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S0001924000003845. 2010
Kandagal, S B, Venkatraman, Kartik. Form factors for vibration control of beams using resistively shunted piezoceramics. The Journal of Sound and Vibration. . 274. 3. 1123-1133. doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsv.2003.09.030. 2004
Kandagal SB, Venkatraman K. Closed loop flutter control using strain actuation. The Aeronautical Journal of the Royal Aeronautical Society. 2004;108(1083). 2004
- Magan Singh; PhD
- Jyoti Ranjan Majhi; PhD
- PhD. 2015. U P V Sudha: Flutter identification and aeroelastic stability during wake penetration. Presently Scientist/Engineer ‘F’ with the Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA)
- PhD. 2014. Tumkur Karnik Pradeepa: Shocks, Shock-boundary layer interaction, and transonic flutter. Presently Lead Engineer with GE Global Research.
- PhD. 2013. Ravi Chaithanya Mysa: Fluid-elastic interactions in flutter and flapping wing propulsion. Presently AI Data Scientist at Vulcan-AI.
- PhD. 2013. Prashant Kumar Srivastava: Molecular simulation of stress and structure in polymers. Presently Applications Engineer at COMSOL Multiphysics.
- PhD. 2004. Sunetra Sarkar: Incompressible viscous flow past an oscillating airfoil. Presently Professor, Aerospace Engineering, IIT Madras.
- PhD. 2004. Siddanagouda B Kandagal: Piezo actuated vibration and flutter control. Presently Principal Research Scientist, Aerospace Engineering, IISc.
- MSc (Engg). 2009. Subrahmanya Prasad Narla: Vibration and impact induced sound. Presently Senior Engineer at V-Labs SLK.
- MSc (Engg). 2009. Thomas K. Joseph: Dynamic response of a satellite with flexible appendages and its passive control. Presently with ISAC/ISRO Bangalore.
- MSc (Engg). 2002. Yogesh S Parte: Reduced order modeling of unsteady flow past and oscillating airfoil. Presently Assistant Vice President, CitiusTech.
- MSc (Engg). 2000. A Srikantha Phani: Dynamic behavior of an electro-rheological fluid sandwich beam. Presently Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering, University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada.
- MSc (Engg). 1999. Sunetra Sarkar: Dynamics of flexible structures with nonlinear joints. Presently Professor, Aerospace Engineering, IIT Madras.
- ME. 2015. Sabari Girish Sudarsanan: Transonic unsteady aerodynamics and flutter of wings. Presently Scientist/Engineer ‘C’ in the CFD Division, Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA).
- ME. 2011. Praveen Kumar Nigam: Structure and stress in a dielectric polymer. Presently with Mahindra Research Park, Chennai.
- ME. 2010. Girish Babu P: Hypersonic bending-torsion flutter. Presently with VSSC/ISRO.
- ME. 2010. Subhandu Rawat: Aeroelastic response of flat plate with nonlinear spring. Presently Aerodynamics CFD Methodology Engineer, Scuderia AlphaTauri F1 Team.
- ME. 2000. Rajeev Kumar: Study of Wortmann FX63-137 airfoil at low Reynolds numbers. Presently Research Assistant Professor, University of Arizona, Tucson, USA.
- ME. 2000. Gp. Cpt. D Ramesh Kumar: Study of oscillating airfoils. Presently Deputy General Manager Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL), Bengaluru.
- ME. 2000. Leelavathy M F Harris: Effect of structural nonlinearities on bending-torsion flutter.
Adithya Mayya; Research Assistant.