Ph.D. Mechanical Engg, Massachusetts Institute of Technology Cambridge USA 1990
M.S. Mechanical Engg, University of Missouri-Rolla, Rolla USA 1986
B.Tech. Mechanical Engg, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, 1984
- Research Associate, ICOMP at NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, OH USA Sept 1990–Aug 1992
- Fellow, National Aerospace Laboratories, Bangalore Nov 1992–July 1992
- Assistant Professor, Department of Aerospace Engineering July 1992–
- Senior Research Associate, The National Academies, USA at Air Force Research Laboratory, WPAFB, OH, USA Sept 2004–Nov 2005
- Visiting Professor, Technische Universitaet Muenchen. Several times 2000-2006.
Fluid mechanics, Turbulence Turbulent flow computations, especially Large Eddy Simulation Aeroacoustics, Combustion, Flow design
There are no internship openings for 1st/2nd year undergraduate students.
There are no openings for students enrolled elsewhere for undertaking thesis/project work in my lab. If your institution has an MOU with IISc a period of residence for joint supervision can be considered.
Nonlinear phenomena in fluid mechanics
Current research topics
- Understanding LES for applications such as aeroacoustics, combustion (non-premixed, sprays), compressor off-design conditions involving transition, separation. Compressible or variable density flows.
- CFD methods for LES of flow in complex geometry.
- Adjoint method computations.
- Transitions (laminar-turbulent, turbulent-turbulent).
- Mechanistic understanding of phenomena such as turbulent entrainment, features of the turbulent-nonturbulent interface.
- Advice on CFD for circuit breakers, BHEL
- RANS/LES studies of diffusers, Pratt & Whitney, UTC, USA
- Advice on CFD for Blast furnace operations, pneumatic conveying L&T
Structure of last stages of turbulent transition
Patel, S K and Mathew, J. Shock capturing in large eddy simulations by adaptive filtering. Fluids. 4. 3. doi: 10.3390/fluids4030132. 2019
Mathew, J.. Evolution of Local Structure of Turbulent Flow Along Pathlines. In Turbulent Cascades II.
Mathew, J., Chakravorty, S.. Large eddy simulation of nonpremixed flames. In Modeling and Simulation of Turbulent Combustion. doi: /10.1007/978-981-10-7410-3_14.
Venkatesh TN, Mathew J. A numerical study of the role of the vertical structure of vorticity during tropical cyclone genesis. Fluid Dyn. Res. 2010;42. . 2017
Manu KV, Mathew J, Dey J. Evolution of isolated streamwise vortices in the late stages of boundary layer transition. Exp. Fluids. 2010. 48. 2010
Mathew J, Mahle I, Friedrich R. Effects of compressibility and heat release on entrainment processes in mixing layers. J. Turbulence. 2008. 9(14). 2008
Sriram AT, Mathew J. Numerical simulation of transverse injection of circular jets into turbulent supersonic streams. AIAA J. Prop. & Power. 2008. 24(1). 2008
Schwertfirm F, Mathew J, Manhart M. Improving spatial resolution characteristics of finite difference and finite volume schemes by approximate deconvolution pre-processing. Computers & Fluids. 2008. 37. 2008
Sriram AT, Mathew J. Improved prediction of plane transverse jets in supersonic crossflows. AIAA J. 2006;44. 2006
Mathew J, venkatesh TN. Prediction of tropical cyclone genesis using a vortex merger index. Geophys. Res. Lett. 2004;31. 2004
Chakravorty S, Mathew J. A high-resolution scheme for low Mach number flows. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Fluid. 2004;. 2004
Mathew J, Lechner R, Foysi H, Sesterhenn J, Friedrich R. An explicit filtering method for large eddy simulation of compressible flows. Physics of Fluids. 2003;15:2279. 2003
Mathew J. Large eddy simulation of a premixed flame with approximate deconvolution modeling. Symposium (International) on Combustion. 2002;29:1995–2000. 2002
Mathew J, Basu AJ. Some characterisitics of entrainment at a cylindrical turbulence boundary. Physics of Fluids. 2002;14(7). 2002
Das A, Mathew J. Direct numerical simulation of turbulent spots. Computers & Fluids. 2001;30:533–541. 2001
Mathew J. Evaluation of strain-rate effects in transitional round jets using direct numerical simulation. Symposium (International) on Combustion. 27. 1207-1212. 1998
- T N Venkatesh, PhD 2003. A vortex merger theory for tropical cyclone genesis.
- A T Sriram, PhD 2003. Numerical simulations of transverse injection of plane and circular sonic jets into turbulent supersonic crossflows.
- Saugata Chakravorty, Phd 2010. On large eddy simulation of reacting flows using the explicit filtering method with a filtered mass density function.
- Manu K V, PhD 2013. Experiments on the late stages of boundary layer transition. Co-supervisor: Prof. J. Dey.
- Subramanian G, PhD 2014. Large eddy simulation of free and impinging subsonic jets and their sound fields.
- Sri Vallabha Deevi, PhD 2015. Large eddy simulation of multiphase flows.
- Sumit Kumar Patel, PhD 2019 Adaptive filtering for large eddy simulation of flows with shocks and its application to launch pad deflectors
- Pradeep M, PhD 2019 Bubble and conical forms of vortex breakdown in swirling jets
- S. Anjum Haider Rizvi, PhD student
- Taye Melaku Tadesse, PhD student
- M S R Chandra Murty, PhD student
- B V Subrahmanyam, PhD student
- Naveen B, PhD student
- Arup Das, MSc(Engg), 1998. A direct simulation study of turbulent spots in Couette flows with pressure gradients.
- Saugata Chakravorty, MSc(Engg), 2000. A numerical study on absolute instability of low density jets.
- M. Malik, MSc(Engg), 2002. On the mechanism of linear instability in boundary layer flows with pressure gradients. Co-supervisor: Prof. J. Dey.
- Shankar kumar B., MSc(Engg), 2008. A study of a vortex particle method for vortex breakdown phenomena.
- M. Pradeep, MSc(Engg), 2011. Experimental study of plasma actuator characteristics and optimization of configuration. Co-supervisors: Prof. Joy Thomas, Prof. Kartik Venkatraman.
- Manu S Kamin, MSc(Engg), 2017. A numerical study of changes to flow organization and their prognostic measures.