The Structures group has always had the legacy of making significant contributions to the growth of aerospace structures activity in the country. While initial research on composite structures picked up steam in the 1970’s supporting the national programs (ALH, LCA, HANSA), steep growth was seen in the 80’s and 90’s. In recent times, the structures faculty have been working in various niche areas related to materials, mechanics, modeling and characterization.
There are currently 10 faculty members working in the following areas:
- Structural Health Monitoring
- Smart Materials and Structures
- Piezoceramic electrovibratory deicing
- Composites Mechanics, Materials and Manufacturing
- Fatigue and Damage tolerance of Aircraft Structures
- Non-Destructive Testing
- Oscillating Airfoil Aerodynamics
- Variational Asymptotic Method
- Computational intelligence and MEMS
- Adaptive finite element techniquesand modeling tools
The group’s research is supported by generous research funding from Govt institutions and industry collaborations within India and abroad. In addition to Govt agencies such as DRDO, ISRO and DST, the group has also attracted major research funding from ONR, AFOSR and industrial ties with Boeing and Pratt&Whitney.